New Residences
In 1977, the Civic City adopted the Residential Development Control System (RDCS). The RDCS was adopted to ensure that residential development pays for itself and that the rate of development does not outstrip the availability of public services and infrastructure to serve the city’s residents. 

As implemented through the Municipal Code and other City Council policies, the RDCS requires a building allocation be obtained prior to building residences (however, there are Exemption Policies for some residential development). 

For more information, call the Planning Division 785-587-1853. 

Adding to Existing Residences
Before designing an addition, it is recommended to determine the building setbacks, maximum height, maximum building coverage, and other development standards. These are determined by the zoning district (i.e. R1-7,000, R1-12,000, R1-20,000, etc.) in which the property is located. You can determine what district your property is located in by looking at the zoning map.

After determining the zoning district, refer to Title 18 - Zoning Ordinance of the Municipal Code for setbacks, maximum height limitations, and other building restrictions. 

Remodels of existing residences are generally allowed, but may require a building permit. Remodels of existing residences to another use (i.e. commercial use) are allowed in some zoning districts, but require a change of occupancy permit and may have additional requirements. 

It is recommended to contact the Fire Department and Public Works Department for any additional requirements related to a remodel. 

Fences and walls are allowed to be built along property lines as long as they do not exceed the maximum height. In general, fences or walls may not exceed 6 feet in height along the rear and side property lines and no more than 3 feet in height within the front setback area.