Business Licenses
Business licenses are not required for most businesses, but they are required for:
  • Pawn brokers
  • Second-hand merchandise dealers
  • Salvage sales
  • Taxi cab companies and their drivers
Business License Application
Submit a Business License Application to the City Clerk's Office before starting one of these businesses. For more information contact the City Clerk's Office at 785-587-1853.

Dog Licenses
The Civic City City Ordinance requires dogs to be licensed. Dog owners should get a license within 30 days of:
  • Acquiring a dog that is over four months old
  • The dog turning four months old
  • Moving into the city with the dog
  • The expiration of a pet license
Dog licenses are $10 for an non-neutered dog and $5 for a neutered dog. Licenses last one year.

Marriage Licenses
Marriage licenses are obtained from the City Clerk's Office. Both parties must be at least 18 years old. The couple must go together to the City Clerk's Office to complete the Marriage Intention Form. This form may not be taken out of the office. The couple must complete it in person together.

You cannot receive your marriage license until the fourth day after filing for marriage intent unless a court order is obtained. Your wedding officiant must sign the original license and return it to the City Clerk. After the license is filed, you may request a copy of the license from the City Clerk.